The Presidential Assistant for Rehabilitation and Recovery (PARR) was created by virtue of Memorandum Order No. 62 issued on 06 December 2013. PARR was mandated to put together an over-all strategic vision and integrated short-term, medium-term, and long-term plans and programs for Yolanda-affected areas.
To facilitate coordinating the rehabilitation efforts, PARR established five Clusters at national level. The five Clusters and in coordination with the governors and mayors have supported the formulation of the Comprehensive Rehabilitation and Recovery Plan (CRRP) which was approved by the President in August 2014.
These five Clusters are as follows:
- Infrastructure Cluster – In charge of the rehabilitation programs and projects relating to physical infrastructure, both horizontal and vertical, damaged or destroyed by the typhoon. This includes construction, repair, and restoration of damaged roads, bridges, and other public structures.
- Chairperson: Department of Public Works and Highways
- Members: DA, DAR, DepEd, DOE, DENR, DTI, DOH, DOST, DOTC, DILG, OCD, LWUA, CHED, NIA, NEA
- Resettlement Cluster – Responsible for programs and projects relating to the relocation of affected families living in danger zones to safe area, and for the development of secure, comprehensive, and sustainable settlements.
- Chairperson: Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council
- Members: NHA, DPWH, DA, DAR, DepEd, DENR, DILG, DOH, DOST, DSWD, OCD, HLURB, NCIP, OPAPP, NAPC
- Social Services Cluster – Responsible for continuing relief operations to the most vulnerable groups and resumption of community services in the affected areas. This includes food, health, education, emergency/transitional shelter, and on-site shelter assistance.
- Chairperson: Department of Social Welfare and Development
- Members: DND, DA, DAR, DepEd, DENR, DOH, OCD, HUDCC, HLURB, NCIP, OPAPP, NAPC, NHA, CHED
- Livelihood Cluster – Responsible for the provision of livelihood and emergency employment assistance to the affected families. This includes crop production, industry trade and services, forestry, fishery, and livestock and poultry industries.
- Chairperson: Department of Trade and Industry
- Members: DSWD, DOLE, DA, DOT, DAR, DENR, DOST, OCD, HUDCC, NCIP, OPAPP, NAPC, NHA, TESDA, PCA, Government Financial Institutions (Land Bank of the Philippines, Development Bank of the Philippines)
- Support Cluster – In charge of addressing cross-cutting policy concerns and issues among the different Clusters.
- Co-Chairpersons: Department of Budget and Management (DBM) and NEDA
- Members: DFA, DOF, DOJ, DSWD, OCD, PCDSPO, PCOO, PMS, OES, OCS, OPAPA, COA, DENR, DILG, HLURB, DPWH
After the resignation of the PARR, President Aquino issued Memorandum Order (MO) No. 79, on 22 April 2015, tasking the Director-General of the National Economic and Development Authority, as the NDRRMC Vice-Chair for Rehabilitation and Recovery, to undertake the coordination, monitoring and evaluation of all disaster-related programs, projects, and activities (PPAs) for areas worst-affected by Typhoon Yolanda. The task was previously under the Office of the Presidential Assistant for Rehabilitation and Recovery (OPARR). Consequently, as provided for under the said Memorandum Order, NEDA created the Yolanda Project Monitoring Office (PMO) that would coordinate and facilitate all activities on the monitoring of Yolanda PPAs. NEDA utilized the Clusters established by PARR as the structure for coordination to assess the over-all status of rehabilitation and recovery efforts as well as to address policy issues on rehabilitation and recovery for Yolanda-affected areas.